Friday, November 30, 2007

African American good or bad?

While I watched the video in class of the black children choosing the dolls, I couldn't help but start to wonder where they were getting those kind of ideas at such a young age. I know, even at 3, that avoiding the media is impossible, but I work at a day care and know that my children do not watch TV other than children's shows. I have also noticed that children's shows are non-discriminating and always have an equal racial balance. Based on that observation, I can only assume that children such young ages are getting the ideas of black being bad from their parents. Of course, I cannot say this with 100% certainty cause I did not grow up in an African American home, but I do not find this to be so far fetched. I am not saying they are doing it intentionally but as we all know, children hear everything. If their parents or older siblings speak badly about their own race then what are the young ones eft to think. It is simply a matter of rising above the facade of racism. I know somewhere out there someone would discriminate against me, for the reason of my being white, or part indian or a female, but I believe in myself and rise above the thought. I agree with "Bamboozled" in this, RISE ABOVE and get over it.

HH

No comments: